Monday, June 19, 2006

Conjunctions (Exercise)

A. Basic Coordinating Conjunctions
Fill in a suitable coordinating conjunctions in each blank.

1. Jaewon was cold, _____he put on a coat.
2. Maria tried to read a novel in French, ______it was too difficult.
3. To get from Vancouver to Victoria, you can fly, ______you can ride the ferry.
4. I bought a bottle of wine, ______we drank it together.
5. The waiter was not very nice, _____the food was delicious.
6. I went to buy a Rolling Stones CD, _____the shop didn't have it.
7. Anna needed some money, _____she took a part-time job.
8. There's so much rain lately! Maybe it's because of El Nino, _____maybe it's just coincidence.
9. Julie has a guitar, _____she plays it really well.
10. The concert was cancelled, ______we went to a nightclub instead.


B. Basic Subordinating Conjunctions
Choose the appropriate answer for the following.

1. ________ it was raining, I didn't get wet.

A. Although
B. Because

2. Jun couldn't buy any Christmas presents, ________ he didn't have any money.

A. even though
B. because


3. ________ my wife likes to travel abroad, I prefer to stay at home for my vacations.

A. Whereas
B. Since


4. Jerry passed the exam first time, ________ I had to retake it three times.

A. as
B. while


5. I will be late today, ________ my car has broken down.

A. because
B. though

6. ________ Mei Li doesn't speak English, she can't go to university in Canada.

A. Whereas
B. Since


7. Paula got the job, ________ she had no experience.

A. as
B. even though


8. I don't drink coffee, ________ it makes me nervous.

A. as
B. although

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home